IM Crashes When I Want To Compose A Mail

Get help with Send/Receive problems, Account configuration, Ports numbers, Email Servers and more!
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules
georgyporgy
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

IM Crashes When I Want To Compose A Mail

Postby georgyporgy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:05 pm

In desperation I am hoping that someone out there reads this and can hopefully help me. I don't know if a Windows Update has caused my problem or what, but I simply cannot find an answer to this irritating problem which started a week or two ago.

Every time I click on the arrow beneath the "write" icon, i.e. on a name in the dropdown list, IM crashes. It's driving me crazy. I CAN compose a mail if I just click on the "write" icon, and then put the name in the "to" box in the mail. But it was SO convenient to click on the name of my most frequently mailed contacts under the "write" icon.

I have run all sorts of tests and antivirus and looked into the deep, dark crevices of my computer but I cannot find a solution. I have two IM identities for IM and the other identity is absolutely fine. No problems at all.

It would be great if someone could come up with a magic solution! Thank you! <Smile>

IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: IM Crashes When I Want To Compose A Mail

Postby IncrediModerator » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:01 pm

Such performance issues can often be solved by deleting the IncrediMail "Runtime" folder.

To delete the Runtime folder, please run the following executable:
http://www2l.incredimail.com/contents/s ... el_run.exe

When done, open IncrediMail and check the results.

If the problem continues, as your current identity is apparently corrupted, I would like you to create a new identity in IncrediMail and then import the existing messages and contacts into that identity.

To create a new identity, please click on Tools > Identities > New Identity.

In this case, I would like you to configure the same email address in your new identity, there is no need to create a new email address. While the identity name should be different, the email address should be exactly the same.

After that, to import the existing folders, messages and contacts, please do the following:

1. Exit the IncrediMail application by right-clicking on the icon in your Windows taskbar and selecting "Exit".

2. In Windows Explorer, browse to the following path:
C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\IM

Note: YOURUSER refers to your actual Windows user.

3. Copy the "Identities" folder to your Desktop.

4. Open IncrediMail, click on File > Import and Export > Import Messages.

5. In the pop-up window, select "IncrediMail" and click on Next.

6. Click "Select Folder" and browse to the "Identities folder located on your Desktop. Click on Next.

7. Select the option "All Folders". Click on Next.

8. When complete, click on Finish.

9. In the main IncrediMail window, click on File > Import and Export > Import Contacts.

10. In the pop-up window, select "IncrediMail Address Book" and click on Next.

11. Click "Select Folder" and browse to the "Identities" folder located on your Desktop. Click on Next.

12. When complete, click on Finish.

Please let me know the results.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image

IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby IncrediModerator » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:13 pm

As the "AppData" folder may sometimes be hidden, for instructions on how to show hidden files and folders in Windows, please refer to the online article at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... dden-files
Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image

georgyporgy
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby georgyporgy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Hello, IncrediModerator.

Thank you very much for your reply to my post. However.... I did exactly as you advised and I still get the same problem in the new "Test" identity.

I do frequently run the del_run program as quite often my "skin" will revert to default and once I use the del_run, it's fine.

But after setting up the "test" identity and clicking on the arrow under "write".. the same result. IM crashed. It's driving me crazy now!

Any further advice?

Many thanks.

IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby IncrediModerator » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:09 pm

To further address this issue, I would like you to try uninstalling and then reinstalling IncrediMail 2.5.

As the uninstall script only removes the exe/dll files, your existing data and settings should not be affected.

To uninstall IncrediMail 2.5, please go to Start > Settings > System > Apps and features, select "IncrediMail 2.5" and click on "Uninstall".

After the uninstall completes, please run the following executable to install the latest build of IncrediMail 2.5:
http://www5l.incredimail.com/im/imsetup ... lSetup.exe

Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image

IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby IncrediModerator » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:10 pm

If the problem continues, it's possible the issue you encounter is because another program running on your computer is conflicting with IncrediMail.

Therefore, please disable all of the startup programs in Windows as instructed in the online article at:
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable ... indows-10/

After that, please restart your computer and then open the IncrediMail application.

Note: This will merely disable the automatic startup of applications when restarting your computer. You will still be able to manually open the applications from the Start menu (or Windows 10 equivalent).

Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image

georgyporgy
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby georgyporgy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Oh Oh Oh. Before I could do any of that, my husband went into his IM identity. And he has received mails from MY identity that I had already received!! We cannot open them, nor delete them. I think I am going to have to uninstall IM and reinstall. Fortunately, I backed up IM just three days ago...... wish me luck as I go. This is becoming a disaster.

IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby IncrediModerator » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:28 pm

To address your latest issue, please run the following executable:
http://www2l.incredimail.com/contents/s ... _index.exe

Once finished, you must keep IncrediMail open for at least 24 Hours to complete the indexing.

Note: You may minimize the IncrediMail window in the Windows taskbar so that you can work with other programs in the meantime.

Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image

georgyporgy
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby georgyporgy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Hello again. Thank you for the latest advice. I managed to delete the offending mails by reading up in forums and finding out that I could press shift + delete and away they went.

I would like to try the indexing service advice... but am struggling to find a time when I can leave my computer open for 24 hours! Is that really necessary?! And.... I wonder if you could kindly confirm that this action will not affect my existing folders and mails? I am a tad concerned that this action would take so long?

I'm a nervous passenger!

Thanks again for your help so far.

IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby IncrediModerator » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:33 pm

As the executable only deletes the index files, the actual messages and folders should not be affected.

Depending on the size of your data, the re-indexing may take up to 24 hours to complete.

If you like, you may leave the computer on overnight and simply turn off the monitor to minimize the nuisance.

Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image

Return to “Email Account Issues”