Transfering messages from IM Xe to 2.0

Use this forum to get a solution for any technical issue that you have with IncrediMail (not send/receive problems).
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules
galbe007
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Transfering messages from IM Xe to 2.0

Postby galbe007 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Your IncrediMail Version: 2.0 free
Your Internet Browser Type: FireFox 3.5
Your Operation System: Windows 7

What have you done before the problem occurred?
My concern relates to tranfering from XP (IM Xe) to 8.0 (IM 2.0) on a new computer.
I have followed the standard process :
- copied the old Identities library on the new computer disk
- launched IM 2.0 - Files / Import / Import messages (contacts have already been successfully imported)
- selected the Identities folder : a few (not all) IM folders appear in the box (inbox, outbox, deleted, spam)
- clicked on import
after a (long!) moment (5 hours!) "import successful"

If you receive any error message, please quote it precisely:
I only got a "success" message, while import was not at all successful...

Please provide a full description of the problem:
I tried to import about 8000 messages (my wife's professional library!) which were successfully contained in Xe (about 3000 had been deleted before transfering, to make it easier...). No problem of space (500 GB available on new disk). The import seemed to take place correctly, BUT :
- only a few folders appeared in the "select" box (about 5 instead of 20, with an "Archive" directory with 12 subdirectories not appearing (not being detected?))
- only these directories re-appeared, the Archives were not copied,
- the imported files were corrupted, except in the outbox (readable, but meaningless : "RNPoUv+1EhUipp9%n.."..)
- the attached files had disappeared, except in the same outbox were they were useable.
After 5 hours of import (14000+ documents), there were only about 500 messages appearing (instead of 8000), 100 of them being useable. Disapointing, isn't it, and useless.
Was my way of proceeding wrong? what can I do ? Most emails or attached docs are necessary to my wife's activity, and for the time being the new computer is stocked in a corner, useless!
Thanks for your help
Galbe

IncrediAdmin2
IncrediMail Support Team Member

Re: Transfering messages from IM Xe to 2.0

Postby IncrediAdmin2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Do you have access to the IncrediMail installation from your old computer? Can it be exported again?
Best regards,

IncrediAdmin2
IncrediMail Customer Support

galbe007
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby galbe007 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks, the problem has been (painfully) solved, with a lot of "cut and try".
It appeared :
- that only Incredimail Xe can import messages from Incredimail Xe
- that IM 2.0 can only import messages from 2.0.
As I wanted not to risk losing my wife's operational Xe, I installed Xe (thanks to an old link, dated 2010!) with the proper XP SP3 parameters on my own Win7 PC.
I copied my wife's "Identities" folder on my PC, then imported it into my own IM Xe. It worked well, I could find the 8000 emails, the attached docs and the 25 folders.
I then upgraded my Xe to 2.0 by using the standard upgrade process (I had to try several times, because certain upgrade processes led to 2.5 I refuse to try, with all its bugs.) To retry means cleaning up the whole register, as Xe installation can't be redone if a more recent version was installed... I hate that !
The translation went not so badly : I lost only 1 or 2% of my wife's mails/folders. Not perfect, but...!
I then had only to import the new "identities" folder with the IM2.0 on my wife's PC.
End of the process : it took nearly 3 full days!
Thank you Incredimail for this easy transfer I hate the programmers who did that...
Courage to anyone is in my position.
regards
Galbe

IncrediAdmin2

Postby IncrediAdmin2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 am

Thank you for the information.
Best regards,

IncrediAdmin2
IncrediMail Customer Support