Uninstall/Reinstall Question  [Solved]

Share/Bookmark
Use this forum to get a solution for any technical issue that you have with IncrediMail (not send/receive problems).
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules

Uninstall/Reinstall Question

Postby JaniceKennish » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Your IncrediMail Version: IM2
Your Internet Browser Type: Internet Explorer 8
Your Operation System: Windows Vista

What have you done before the problem occurred?
I'm not sure how to answer this question--I am having retreiving my email and contacts after someone unexpectedly uninstalled my Incredimail. Hopefully the full description will give enough information for what I am looking for.

If you receive any error message, please quote it precisely:

Please provide a full description of the problem:
Someone uninstalled my Incredimail from my computer therefore taking all my email messages and contacts. I did not have warning they were going to do this so I did not take the steps to transfer the files or import/export them. They also reset my restore points on my computer so I can not restore to the point before they worked on it. Should my emails and contacts be on my hard drive somewhere for me to find and restore? They only uninstalled Incredimail they say they didn't delete anything personal off my hard drive but I don't know how to find the files and get them back on my Incredimail if they are somewhere on my hard drive. I read on the help site that I should be able to find them on my computer and restore them if the personal files weren't deleted but I don't know where to look for them. These are EXTREMEMLY important to me so any help you can give me or anyone you could refer me to for help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
JaniceKennish
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Re: Uninstall/Reinstall Question

Postby IncrediModerator » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:13 pm

When you uninstalled IncrediMail, your personal files and information were not deleted or removed from your computer (unless someone deleted it manually).

Similar to other email clients, when you uninstall IncrediMail, only the IncrediMail system files are deleted from your computer. Deleting the system files does not affect in any way the personal files and information that you have in your IncrediMail.

Try to reinstall Incredimail and let me know if you can see your emails again.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby JaniceKennish » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:26 pm

I reinstalled Incredimail and nothing came back. All of the emails that I had and my contacts did not reappear. I think we found them (although I'm not positive) but we don't know how to get them back in my Incredimail. The one thing I wonder is I had only changed to Incredimail 2 a few days before it was uninstalled; when I reinstalled it I went straight to 2--would it be likely come back if I uninstall 2 and reinstall the original? The people who did the uninstall assure me that they ONLY uninstalled Incredimail and did nothing with my personal files and information. Is the information supposed to come back on it's own? Thank you so much for your help, I'm terribly upset over them doing this.
JaniceKennish
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby IncrediModerator » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Uninstalling IncrediMail 2 and then installing IncrediMail Xe will not recover your lost data. I will write down the general location of your IncrediMail data and you will have to search for it in your computer.

C:\Users\Your Profile Name (Logon Name)\AppData\Local\IM\Identities

Under the above location you should view all your IncrediMail profiles you had (again, if they were not deleted). Copy the identities into your Desktop and try to import it into IncrediMail.

To import your email messages and folders, do the following:

Open IncrediMail, click the 'File' menu, scroll to 'Import and Export' and select 'Import Messages'. In the 'Import Messages' dialog, select 'IncrediMail' and click 'Next'.

Click 'Select Folder' and browse to the 'Identities' folder located on your Desktop to import your old email messages.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby JaniceKennish » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Ok, I get through all that to the last box that says "select the folders you wish to import. Click next to import" then there is a choice of all folders or selected folders. At this point the only things I can click on are between the two choice, back, and cancel--I can not click next to be able to finish the import. Is there something I am doing wrong or does this mean I can't recover my files?
JaniceKennish
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby IncrediModerator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 am

It's either your data was deleted or that you haven't chosen the correct path.

Information about your IncrediMail installation will help me to locate your previous data folder (if it still exists). We have created a tool, which collects the necessary data and creates the 'IMData.cab' file, to help you provide us with the most relevant information.

To create the 'IMdata.cab' file, please click here. Click 'Run' in the File Download dialog, click 'Run' again when asked to run the software and follow the instructions in the SupportUtil dialog.

Send me the IMData file in private message.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby IncrediModerator » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:20 pm

According to the data you have sent me, you have no data in your IncrediMail. Meaning, your old data was deleted and cannot be restored.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Uninstall/Reinstall Question  [Solved]

Postby JaniceKennish » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:45 am

Thank you very much for your help--I'm not happy about what these people did but I do appreciate all your time and work trying to help me fix it.
JaniceKennish
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Return to Technical Issues (crashes, error messages, etc.)