Use this forum to ask general setup and usage questions
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules

How to remove MyStart

Postby dcc251 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Your IncrediMail Version: None
Your Internet Browser Type: Internet Explorer 8
Your Operation System: Windows 7

What have you done before the problem occurred?

If you receive any error message, please quote it precisely:

Please provide a full description of the problem:
I am in the process of removing the ad-ware, malware and spyware on a friends computer. It is also infected with the MyStart malware.
Could one of the mods please give me link to an uninstaller, or comprehensive uninstall instructions.
I do not want instructions as to disabling the malware; I want them to UNINSTALL COMPLETELY.
Thank you.
dcc251
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Re: How to remove MyStart

Postby moonstar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 am

Please understand MyStart is not a program, installation or any type of malware/adware/spyware. It is a search webpage powered by Google which you can set as your Homepage.

To change your friend's Homepage, simply set it to something else. For specific instructions on their particular browser, please [url=help.incredimail.com/incredimail/help_center/help_article.aspx?article_id=325]click here[/url].
Best regards,

Moonstar
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
moonstar
IncrediMail Support Team Member

Postby dcc251 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 am

> Spyware Encyclopedia Page 71 > Incredimail.com
Incredimail.com removal
Spyware Incredimail.com Information
Name: Incredimail.com
Category: Cookie
Date: 2003-04-17
Dangerous: Yes
Incredimail.com installs a tracking cookie in your browser. While the cookies keep information about your browsing habbits they are not considered very dangerous. The problem with Incredimail is that when you install their client it could come bundled with adware, which is very hard to remove manually. If you have Incredmail client installed on your and are unable to get rid of it try downloading anti-spyware software and perform a full system scan.

Your reply does not uninstall the tracking cookies, or stop MyStart from hijacking a search typed directly into the address bar.
I have uninstalled it using HijackThis and regedit.
I was just wondering if any of you would be honest enough to post a reply that would remove the files rather than just leaving them in the background, maybe helping some of the numerous people who are having their pages hijacked by your software.
It seems not.
dcc251
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby moonstar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:54 am

I understand your concern, however the information you posted is incorrect (cookies are used by IncrediMail to recognize your installation in order to allow you to download from the IncrediMail Gallery). This does not refer to MyStart, which is a webpage, and is not an installation. Therefore, there is no way to 'uninstall' it.

Please note the information you found can be posted by any user, and is not necessarily correct or updated. In addition, IncrediMail does not and has never included Spyware, Addware, or anything similar, and is constantly checked and approved by the top Download sites and AntiVirus programs available:

http://www.incredimail.com/english/incredimail/safe-and-free-incredimail-download.aspx

Please follow the instructions I sent, and let me know if they worked. If not, I can check to see exactly what happened and help you correct this.
Best regards,

Moonstar
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
moonstar

Postby byebyemystart » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:13 am

in your browser address bar enter
about:config
filter results by typing incredimail
right click on results matching description and select reset or modify the body to a null value i.e. blank
filter results by typing mystart
repeat above steps
send santa a letter to give me gold for Christmas in return for my good deeds!
byebyemystart
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Return to How do I...? Setup, General UI, Getting Started