Can't import from Data and settings Wizard

Share/Bookmark
Use this forum to get a solution for any technical issue that you have with IncrediMail (not send/receive problems).
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules

Can't import from Data and settings Wizard

Postby Twiggy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Your IncrediMail Version: Incredimail Xe
Your Internet Browser Type: Internet Explorer 8
Your Operation System: Windows 7

What have you done before the problem occurred?
I used the Data and settings Wizard to export to new computer and had no problems.

If you receive any error message, please quote it precisely:
IMPORT FAILED

Please provide a full description of the problem:
I now want to restore to the new computer. I won't let me do it and comes up with: IMPORT FAILED
I know it is a very big file as I have saved a lot of emails. I read on the web site that
"Note: If your IncrediMail data is saved in more than one 700MB file, you must copy all files before attempting to retrieve your IncrediMail data."
I know it is over 700MB, but it is in CAB files so what do I do and where do I copy the files to?
Please help I have a lot of important emails (with attachments that are important)
Twiggy
Twiggy
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Re: Can't import from Data and settings Wizard

Postby HarmHero » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi,

We have exactly the same problem here! We made a backup last saturday (like Twiggy) because we upgrade Vista to Windows 7.
After the upgrade, we installed IM and tried to retrieve the transfer data. The transfer data consists of 2 .cab files, totally 900 MB.

When we use the import wizard, it gives an error at exactly the 485th imported item:
(translated out of the Dutch version:)

IMPORT FAILED

This action has not been completed.
Make sure you have enough free disk space
----------------------------------------------------------
The log file shows (also translated from Dutch):

IncrediMail Xe Log Engine (Build ID: 5864332 Setup ID: 19000007)
Log started at 01/24/10 Sun Jan 24 16:02:37

[Time: Sun Jan 24 16:02:37.677]
Starting importprocess
[Time: Sun Jan 24 16:02:46.226]
Decompressing data from file has failed
[Time: Sun Jan 24 16:02:46.241]
Transfer failed

The first thing we checked off course, was our available free disk space... it was more than 80 GB left, so that should not be a problem.

Could someone please help us and/or shed some light on this problem? We have a -very- angry mom waiting for her emaildata at the moment...

Thanks for the help!
Sincerely,

Harmen ter Horst
HarmHero
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby IncrediModerator » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 pm

In order to retrieve your IncrediMail data, please do the following:

1) Right-click the IncrediMail Tray Icon (near the computer clock) and select 'Exit'.

2) Double-click the 'IncrediMail Data.cab' file.

3) Click 'Extract' to open the 'Browse' dialog and browse to the following path:

C:\Users\Your Profile Name (Logon Name)\AppData\Local\IM\Identities

Click the 'Extract' button, located in the 'Browse' dialog.

4) Browse to the following location:

C:\Users\Your Profile Name (Logon Name)\AppData\Local\IM\Identities

Double-click the 'ImDataProfile.reg' file. When asked, click 'Yes'.

Open IncrediMail and you will see all your former IncrediMail email and contacts.

Please note that only IncrediMail 2 is fully compatible with Windows 7.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Twiggy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:57 am

I have now tried all that. I updated to IncrediMail 2 (without uninstalling the old Incredimail) - as that did not work I uninstalled everyting and downloaded IncrediMail 2 and started from scratch. It is still NOT working. I can get the contacts but NONE of my emails.
I am also wondering because I have two CAB files and only one can be extracted. Could that be the reason??? The one I can extract is 700MB and the other says 218MB but I can't do a thing with that one.
PLEASE I AM GETTING DESPERATE. emoticon-0101-sadsmile
I wonder if Harmen could get this to work.

Cheers
Twiggy
Twiggy
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby HarmHero » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:08 pm

We've tried it as well. First of all, we didnt have an 'extract' option after opening the CAB file (Windows7). So, we installed 7Zip to extract the files.
All nice and well, but at approx 90% of the file and after approx 2400 'broken file' errors, the program hangs.
We tried to enter the reg-data from the reg-file in the registry, but to no avail. It did, however, install the right account information, so new email could be downloaded, but non of the files recovered can be seen.

We uninstalled IM Xe and installed IM2, but this didnt help as well. We even tried to repair the CAB using 'Advanced CAB Repair', but it can't even repair the file, it goes to 'failed' immediately. Not really worth the $150 now ...

@Twiggy: The problem with the 2 CAB files is corrected automatically: the extraction process detects more CAB files and extracts them one after the other (it shows as one file, just like broken up ZIP, RAR or par2 files). It sees it as one complete file, broken up into several bits or parts. As long as you don't change the filenames, it should be extracted automatically, one after the other.

It looks like the datafile is totally wasted ... but any ideas towards (partial) recovery are more than welcome ...

Sincerely,
Harmen
HarmHero
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby IncrediModerator » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:29 pm

If you coulnd't extract your data from the '.cab' files you won't be able to restore your data, it seems that the '.cab' files are corrupted.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Issues (crashes, error messages, etc.)