Switching to a new Windows User Account  [Solved]

Share/Bookmark
Here you will find answers about IncrediMail and Microsoft new operation system - Windows 7!
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules

Switching to a new Windows User Account

Postby BubblyKori » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:36 am

Your IncrediMail Version: Xe
Your Internet Browser Type: FireFox 3.5
Your Operation System: Windows 7

What have you done before the problem occurred?
Actually, replying to email messages. I noticed that Incredimail was making strange changes in my email: capitalizing words in the middle of sentences, capitalizing the first 2 letters of words, mixing up the spelling of some words (from "for" to "ofr" and "was" to "asw". Since I had installed the new Quicktime update and Windows Office XP (Word and Excel) the day before and hadn't re-booted, I thought maybe that was a possible cause of the quirky behavior. So, I thought I'd better re-boot.

If you receive any error message, please quote it precisely:
No message.

Please provide a full description of the problem:
My stupid brand new computer of 6 weeks is having issues with my user account, and I have been recommended to create a new identity on my computer and move everything there. Before I open Incredimail under the new Windows user, 1) I want to know if all my stuff will be there 2) if not, what do I do.

When I set everything up 6 weeks ago, I did the export and import from my old computer and it went smooth as glass. Now, I see the program files are under Program Files (x86) (which is for all identities/users) but the messages themselves are under C:/Users/old identity/AppData/IM. How do I get them to be under my new identity? Do I have to re-export and re-import with the new identity? Or can I drag them over to under the new identity?

FYI: The problem with the old identity is my mouse doesn't work (it works on my daughter's identity and under the new identity for me). So, I can't check boxes or click on anything. I can't even stop it from pulling my email every few minutes under options, because it is a check box. (The whole mouse issue is so frustrating, for crying out loud, it's a brand new computer!?! ~ Of course, I don't think it is because of anything Incredimail did. I've been using Incredimail for years and I'm a Premium owner of Incredimail and Letter Creator.) (Oh, and yes, I've re-started over 6 times, uninstalled the last 2 programs since the last working re-boot, tried System Restore, updated the mouse driver and all to no avail.)

Please hurry, I need to read my email!!

Thanks so much!!
BubblyKori
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Re: Switching to a new Windows User Account

Postby moonstar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:24 am

Opening a new user Identity will recreate all the default settings that IncrediMail comes with, including your Spell checker (which seems to be damaged).

If you opened a new Identity, and had trouble with it, please first try refreshing IncrediMail to replace any corrupted files and default information. This will ensure your new Identities will have the proper files installed.

To do so, please click here.

Afterwards, please try creating a new Identity and see if everything is working as it should.

If so, then you can easily import your old data (emails, contacts and settings) to your new Identity.

The way to import from an old to new identity is manually, so it will not work the same as you previously did (if you used the import tools in IncrediMail). Importing all this data will simply move it from the old Identity folder to the new Identity, and you won't need to worry about data loss. Make sure all your data correctly transferred before deleting the old Identity.

To retrieve your IncrediMail folders, email messages and contacts, first copy your personal IncrediMail folder to the Desktop:

• Right-click the IncrediMail Tray Icon and select 'Exit'.
  • Browse to the following location:

C:\Users\*Profile User*\AppData\Local Settings\IM

• Copy the 'Identities' folder to your Desktop.

To import your email messages and folders, do the following:

• Open IncrediMail, click the 'File' menu, scroll to 'Import' and select 'Messages'.
  • In the 'Import Messages' dialog, select 'IncrediMail' and click 'Next'.
  • Click 'Select Folder' and browse to the 'Identities' folder located on your Desktop to import your old email messages.
To import your contacts, do the following:

• Open IncrediMail, click the 'File' menu, scroll to 'Import' and select 'Contacts'.
  • In the 'Import Contacts' dialog, select 'IncrediMail Address Book' and click 'Next'.
  • Click 'Select Folder' and browse to the 'Identities' folder located on your Desktop to import your old contacts.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Best regards,

Moonstar
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
moonstar
IncrediMail Support Team Member

Postby BubblyKori » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I really appreciate it!

What about the letters? I have over 16,000 (way too many, I'm sure). Windows 7 seems to prevent me from installing more than 16 at a time. (I tried it with some other IMF's). It would take forever to install them all manually. Or will dragging the letters file over to the new "Me" under the AppData work?

Thanks again!
BubblyKori
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby moonstar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Your Letters should be available in all Identities, as they are considered "shared" content.

Can you see the Letters in the new Identity? Do you see any content?
Best regards,

Moonstar

Image Image
moonstar

Postby BubblyKori » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:58 pm

I haven't tried it yet, I wanted to make sure what the correct process was. I was afraid if I opened IM under my new identity, it might pull email and then mess up something.

I'm at work now, so I'll have to wait to try this all this evening.

Just to clarify, I need to:
1) Re-install IM with the link you gave me
2) drag or copy from the old C:\Users\*Profile User*\AppData\Local Settings\IM, everything BUT the Identities folder
3) copy the Identities folder to my desktop
4) Now open IM under my new user identity
5) Import "Messages" then Import "Contacts" from browsing to my Desktop
~Then the rest, (Letters, skins, notifiers, etc,) should be usable without further importing.

Is this correct?
BubblyKori
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby BubblyKori » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 am

NOOOOOO, you gave me the link to IM 2.0!!!! WHY??? I'm in the Xe section! I don't want 2.0, I've heard how nothing old works in it. I wanted to wait until all the bugs were worked out.
BubblyKori
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby BubblyKori » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 am

Your instructions did not work. It says it imported the messages, but there is nothing there. I did it again. I re-started the program. It wants me to set up my email.

Edit: I tried it again. I put the file under the AppData/IM/Identities. It seems now to be importing the correct messages. I hope it recognizes my registration too. It did when I imported from the .cab files. It doesn't look like that it sees any of my IMF files though.

I went over to my old identity to check on a Firefox setting, and it was busy upgrading to IM 2. Then it opened up, luckily it didn't pull any new messages from the server. I'm not sure why, I quickly closed it before it decided to pull them. IM 2 looks very different.

Edit #2: It says it imported them all, but it didn't. Luckily, I copied from my old identity to the desktop and then moved the copy to the IM folder. They are on my computer. So, can I copy the messages (.imh and .imm over?)

Also, just to let you know, when I set up my new IM identity, I used a back-up email address from yahoo, not my main email, in case something when wrong and it pulled the email, which would then be lost if I had to scrap those files.
BubblyKori
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby moonstar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:37 am

The link I sent was for IncrediMail 2, as this is the only version currently compatible with your Windows 7 operating system. Running IncrediMail Xe will cause issues such as those you were experiencing.

Everything in IncrediMail 2 works fine, except that your old skins (which are a different size and layout) will not fit. We are working on releasing more skins as fast as possible.

As for your messages, since you imported them manually, anything that was in your old Identity should have been imported. If some did not import, you can try importing again and check. Please let me know if all the folders are appearing, and if not, which ones are missing.

Your content does not need to be imported, as it is shared between all Identities.

As long as you have not uninstalled IncrediMail, your registration code will still be in place. If you need further assistance with this please let me know.

* If you ever want to check your email but leave a copy on the server, please do the following:

• In the IncrediMail main window, click the 'Tools' menu and select 'Accounts'.
  • Select your email account and click 'Properties'.
  • Select the 'Advanced' tab and clear the 'Leave a copy of messages on server' check box.

Please let me know if everything is working as it should, and if your messages have been imported correctly.
Best regards,

Moonstar

Image Image
moonstar

Postby BubblyKori » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:16 pm

moonstar wrote:The link I sent was for IncrediMail 2, as this is the only version currently compatible with your Windows 7 operating system. Running IncrediMail Xe will cause issues such as those you were experiencing.

Everything in IncrediMail 2 works fine, except that your old skins (which are a different size and layout) will not fit. We are working on releasing more skins as fast as possible.

As for your messages, since you imported them manually, anything that was in your old Identity should have been imported. If some did not import, you can try importing again and check. Please let me know if all the folders are appearing, and if not, which ones are missing.

Your content does not need to be imported, as it is shared between all Identities.

As long as you have not uninstalled IncrediMail, your registration code will still be in place. If you need further assistance with this please let me know.

OK, on the IM 2, I just wish you have told me, so I wasn't having an anxiety attach when I saw what it was (I tend to have little panic attacks, not fun).

If I see the clock in the upper right, instead of ads, that means it's registered, right? If so, then that is fine.

As for the content, um, no, it wasn't on a shared location, all my letters were under the old identity AppData/Local Settings/IM/Letters. Something the new identity wouldn't have access to and when I delete the old identity, would be gone.

I was wondering, if it would be easier to export everything, then uninstall. Then re-install under the new identity and then import it all like it was a new computer. Would that work?

Thanks so much!
BubblyKori
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby BubblyKori » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:23 am

I'm trying to import for the 3rd time. It only goes so far and quits. Well, it doesn't quit, it says it's finished, but it only brought in half.

You didn't answer my question about my letters, animations, notifiers, sounds and more. If I leave them in the old C:\Users\*OldIdentity*\AppData\Local\IM and then eventually delete that entity as once everything is transferred to the new identity, all that will be deleted, won't it? That location isn't a shared folder, it is a user specific folder.

Also, how do I import my settings? I don't see how to do that. Will that include my message rules?

Thank you! emoticon-0109-kiss
BubblyKori
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Next

Return to Windows 7