Recalling a sent e-mail

Share/Bookmark
Here is your chance to tell us what you think! What would you like to see in our future versions, the Web site - You name it!

Recalling a sent e-mail

Postby Gmaof9 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:00 pm

I recently sent an e-mail to several contacts. Afterward I realized that I shouldn't have included one addressee. With IM, there is no way to recall the e-mail as there is within (for example) Outlook. A feature such as this would be much appreciated. At least for me, it would save occasional embarassment and possibly a family feud. <Wink>
Gmaof9
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Re: Recalling a sent e-mail

Postby cdenice » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:48 am

Hi,

What version of 'outlook' has a recall feature?
HELP !!!
cdenice
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby icerabbit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 am

If you have corporate email on Exchange + Outlook (or Lotus Notes) and the recipient or one of a group of recipients hasn't opened the email yet, then it is (was?) possible you can recall your message from those who haven't read it yet. Some other private setups with a proprietary messaging system may have a something similar, but it is not something supported by any consumer environment that I'm aware of. Any consumer email, once it left your system, you can't get it back.

If a message is still on its way out (without trying to rely on cancel sending on the software side) and it's a bit of a bigger file on maybe a slower connection, then you can try to disconnect your ethernet / wifi ... or disconnect the router if you're near it to break the message ...

But if it shows as sent in your sent box, it's out there.
icerabbit
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby moonstar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 am

This feature is available in Outlook, as you mentioned, but only if you have a Microsoft Exchange account, AND the person you're sending the message to also has an Exchange account.

Since most people don't have Exchange accounts, having a feature like this available very likely wouldn't help, and your message wouldn't be recalled.

For more information, please click here.
Best regards,

Moonstar
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
moonstar
IncrediMail Support Team Member
IncrediMail Support Team Member

Postby icerabbit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Correct, I didn't mention it expressly, but indeed both the sender and recipient need to be on Exchange or Lotus (or proprietary system) ... so message recalling works within the same corporate environment on the same server. Not in the consumer realm of POP & IMAP email servers serving email accounts from domains, ISP email accounts & online services like gmail, hotmail, ....
icerabbit
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Return to Feature Requests & Feedbacks