Computer keeps locking up

Share/Bookmark
Use this forum to get a solution for any technical issue that you have with IncrediMail (not send/receive problems).
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules

Computer keeps locking up

Postby WiseOwl24 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Your IncrediMail Version: Incredimail2
Your Internet Browser Type: FireFox 3.5
Your Operation System: Windows XP

What have you done before the problem occurred?
I completely reinstalled my operating system and did a full upgrade of all Windows fixes. I am also running IE8.
I prefer to use Firefox tho as it's faster.

If you receive any error message, please quote it precisely:

Please provide a full description of the problem:
The notifier kept locking things up so I shut that off. I also shut off the auto update feature on the Incredimail thinking that was the problem. I have to shut down the mail program entirely to get it to not freeze up.
Is Incredimail 2 compatible with WinXP or should I go back to the original Incredimail XE which I preferred anyway?

My husband is not very happy with the having to reboot the computer to get things working again. This has been happening every few hours. I tried deleting the Incredimail runtime folder. Did NOT help.

Please help.
WiseOwl24
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Re: Computer keeps locking up

Postby moonstar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:53 am

The problem you are experiencing can usually be solved by deleting your IncrediMail 'Runtime' folder. This folder saves all the recent content that you have used, allowing IncrediMail to reuse the content you have already used, without reloading it to your computer's memory, losing time and computer resources.

If you delete this folder, it will be automatically recreated and the IncrediMail content will begin to be saved again.

To delete your 'Runtime' folder, please click here.

Click 'Run' in the File Download dialog, click 'Run' again when asked to run the software and follow the instructions in the SupportUtil dialog.

Open IncrediMail and let me know the results.
Best regards,

Moonstar
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
moonstar
IncrediMail Support Team Member

Postby WiseOwl24 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Moonstar, I guess you didn't read the part about how I have already done that, at least twice now.

Please provide a full description of the problem:
The notifier kept locking things up so I shut that off. I also shut off the auto update feature on the Incredimail thinking that was the problem. I have to shut down the mail program entirely to get it to not freeze up.
Is Incredimail 2 compatible with WinXP or should I go back to the original Incredimail XE which I preferred anyway?

My husband is not very happy with the having to reboot the computer to get things working again. This has been happening every few hours. I tried deleting the Incredimail runtime folder. Did NOT help.

Please help.

Any other suggestions? Is it because I am using Firefox for my browser? I did upgrade that yesterday to Firefox 4. But it was doing the locking up for the past 3 or 4 months. I started out with an older version of IncredimailXE Premium. Well, it got so bad I had to completely reformat my whole hard drive. I lost a lot of pics and personal stuff cause I couldn't get the computer to unlock.
So after reinstalling WinXP and a few basic programs I reinstalled Incredimail hoping it would be ok. I have since upgraded it twice to Incredimail 2 including the latest bug fix version.

The only way I can get the computer to run without locking up is to completely exit Incredimail to surf.

So, are there any other solutions to this or do I have to continue to use it this way? I don't dare use the notifier!
WiseOwl24
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby IncrediModerator » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:32 am

To verify that no other software is causing the problems you experience with IncrediMail, please do the following:

Click the 'Start' menu and select 'Run'. In the 'Run' dialog, enter 'msconfig', as shown in the example below, and click 'OK'.

In the 'System Configuration Utility' dialog, select the 'Startup' tab and click 'Disable All'.

Restart your computer.

Double-click the IncrediMail icon on your Desktop and let me know if the problem persists.

Note: To retrieve your start-up settings, repeat steps 1-2 and click 'Enable All'.
Best regards,

IncrediModerator

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby moonstar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:42 am

Please try resetting your Internet Explorer browser (please follow these instructions even if you don't browse the internet with Internet Explorer, as IncrediMail uses Internet Explorer components to run):

Reset your Internet Browser: (Instructions for Internet Explorer 8 and 9)

• Right-click the IncrediMail Tray Icon and select 'Exit'.
  • Open Internet Explorer. Click the 'Tools' menu and select 'Internet Options...'.
  • Select the 'General' tab and click 'Delete Cookies...'.
  • Select the 'Security' tab and click 'Default Level'.
  • Select the 'Programs' tab and click 'Reset Web Settings...'. When asked, select 'Yes'. Also, mark the 'Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser' check box.
  • Select the 'Advanced' tab and click 'Restore Defaults'.
  • Click 'OK' and close all open Internet Explorer windows.
  • The last step is to delete the cookies from your profile. Browse to the following location and delete all the files that are in the 'Cookies' folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Profile Name (Logon Name)\Cookies

Please Note: The Windows 'Index.dat' file cannot be deleted.

Let me know if this helps.
Best regards,

Moonstar

Image Image
moonstar

Return to Technical Issues (crashes, error messages, etc.)