Can not send email but can receive email

Share/Bookmark
Get help with Send/Receive problems, Account configuration, Ports numbers, Email Servers and more!
Forum rules
Please read them carefully before posting new topic - Forum rules

Can not send email but can receive email

Postby mgross333 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Your IncrediMail Version: IM2
Your Internet Browser Type: Internet Explorer 8
Your Operation System: Windows XP

What have you done before the problem occurred?
Nothing,.

If you receive any error message, please quote it precisely:
Outgoing mail server smtp.comcast.net does not respond. Please try again
AND
Socket error nnn Port Protocol mmm failed because the connected party did not properly espond.

Please provide a full description of the problem:
I am an independent tech. This is for a customer. I have not yet been onsite and what is here is everything I know.

Customer gets error above. He can receive but not send email. He has been using Incredimail WITH THIS EMAIL ADDRESS for a long time with no error. THIS IS NOT A NEW EMAIL ACCOUNT. Email address is xxxx@comcast.net. I do not know if he INITIALLY set it up with the Incredimail Automactic config (as Comcast settings are well known) or INITIALLY set it up manually.

QUESTION 1: The Incredimail web site Account set up instructions (Manual set up section) does NOT show options on how to set up
(a) Outgoing server requires authentication (i.e Yes or No)
AND
(b) Outoging and incoming port numbers.

HOW DO I SET THESE UP OR CHECK THE CURRENT SETTINGS AS THEY MAY BE RELEVANT TO THE PROBLEM. I see NO WAY to do that.

Incredimail XE account setup options are identical to Outlook Express and Outlook and have these options (Advanced tab). But not IM 2.

PLEASE REPLY ON THIS.

QUESTION 2:

Other than THESE ideas (BELOW) what do you suggest ?

(a) Call Comcast and see if their email server for his account is working
(b) He has several Antivirus programs installed. TURN OFF email scanning on all of them and see if it makes a difference

PLEASE REPLY TO QUESTIONS ABOUT (c) below.
(c) Remove and reinstall his email account. REGARDING THIS ONE HOW CAN I SET THE TWO ITEMS IN QUESTION (1) ABOVE as they are part of Comcast email account defs . In particular Comcast uses Outgoing port 587 and not 25 for about a year or two now (i.e it was 587 during the period his email worked with no error)
OR I could just have Incredimail set it up Automatically and hope they know about the new port number.

(d) YOU SUGGEST SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE THREE IDEAS ABOVE.

Regards,
Mike
mgross333
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Re: Can not send email but can receive email

Postby IncrediModerator » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 am

QUESTION 1: In order to check the current settings, simply click 'Tools', then 'Options', and select 'Email Accounts'.

Select the desired email account, and click on the 'Properties' button.

QUESTION 2: These ideas should solve the issue, however I suggest you to contact us again, if it fails.

Also, you may check Comcast settings here:

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQVi ... eSupport=1

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and Good luck !
Best regards,

IncrediModerator
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby mgross333 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Incredimail Moderator,

Thanks for your reply BUT you have not helped me and I am disappointed this is all the reply I got in almost a day and my customer apointment is in 1 1/2 hourS.

MY QUESTION WAS HOW DO I SET THE PORT NUMBERS AND THE SERVER AUTHENTICATION ( Y or N) ? WHAT USE IS IT TO CHECK THEM (YOUR REPLY) IF I CAN NOT CHANGE THEM ? THE IM web site does NOT show how to do either AS I POINTED OUT AND YOU IGNORED THAT. FURTHERMORE, YOUR REPLY DID NOT EVEN **SPECIFICALLY** SAY THAT YOUR INSTRUCTIONS WILL SHOW THOSE TWO SETTINGS WHICH I HIGHLIGHTED AS **THE ONLY THING I WANT TO KNOW**

FURTHERMORE IN MY QUESTION 2, I DID **NOT** ASK FOR THE CORRECT COMCAST SETTINGS. READ MY QUESTION. I KNOW THE SETTINGS, IS THAT NOT CLEAR?, SO WHY DID YOU SUPPLY A LINK TO WHAT THEY ARE?

WHAT I DID ASK IN QUESTION 2 WAS IF I DELETE AND RESET UP THE ACCOUNT, HOW DO I **MANUAL** SET THE TWO ABOVE PARAMETERS WHICH YOU NEVER ANSWERED ?? OR DO I USE THE AUTO-CONFIG APPROACH WHERE IM FIGURES OUT ALL THE SETTINGS BASED ON THE EMAIL DOMAIN: COMCAST.NET AND JUST FILLS EVERYTHING IN, I GOT NO ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION 2 WHICH I CLEARLY ASKED ??IS THERE SOMEONE ON THE IM FORUM WHO CAN ANSWER MY QUESTIONS ??

REGARDING "CONTACT US AGAIN" ARE YOU KIDDING ? DID I NOT MENTION AT THE START THAT I DO THIS FOR A LIVING AND THIS IS FOR A CUSTOMER? THAT MEANS IN 1 1/2 HOURS I GO ON SITE AND THE CUSTOMER EXPECTS ME TO FIX THE PROBLEM AT THAT TIME, NOT POST AGAIN IN THIS FORUM AND RETURN ON ANOTHER DAY ?

I AN MOST DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS IS THE ONLY RESPONSE I GET IN ALMOST A DAY GIVEN THAT IM PLUS WHICH THE CUSTOMER PAYS $29.95 FOR HAS **NO PHONE SUPPORT** EVEN THOSE HE PAYS THEM WHICH IS OUTRAGEOUS IN MY OPINION. I.E SEND US AN EMAIL AND MAYBE WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU?

THIS FORUM IS IN REALITY THE ONLY SUPPORT THERE IS AND I HAVE COME UP WITH A BIG ZERO.

I ALSO POSTED IN THE EXPERTS EXCHANGE FORUM AND CAN NOT HELP BUT NOTICE THAT NO ONE REPLIED THERE. WHEN TWO WEEKS AGO I POSTED THUNDERBIRD QUESTIONS AND GOT MANY REPLIES THERE AS WELL AS IN THE THUNDEBIRD FORUM.

THE TRUTH IS PRACTICALLY NO ONE USE INCREDIMAIL, HENCE NO RESOURCE OF PEOPLE TO HELP ME, AND THERE IS NO REAL SUPPORT (WHICH IS PHONE SUPPORT) EVEN IF YOU PAY. THAT IS NOT THE CASE FOR THUNDERBIRD WHICH LIKE INCREDIMAIL IS NOT ONE OF THE MAJOR EMAIL PROGRAMS YET FOR THAT I CAN GET HELP.

THIS POST IS ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM SHOUTING.

IS THERE SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM WHO CAN ANSWER THE QUESTIONS I ASKED ?

MIKE
mgross333
IncrediUser
IncrediUser

Postby IncrediModerator » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Have you tried my steps in the answer to Question # 1 ?

If so, what were the results?
Best regards,

IncrediModerator
IncrediMail Customer Support

Image Image
IncrediModerator
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Return to Email Account Issues